September 19, 2014
WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department has made only limited progress in its pledge to boost the number of Marine security guards at high-threat U.S. diplomatic posts around the world, the agency’s internal investigator said Thursday.
In a report, the department’s inspector general said efforts to increase Marine Security Guard units in at-risk embassies and consulates — a main recommendation after the deadly Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, that killed the Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans — had thus far made only “modest contributions” to that end.
The report found that only 10 of the 25 new Marine Security Guard, or MSG, detachments called for had been selected for “high-risk, high-threat” posts. It said the other 15 had been chosen for posts with low or medium threat ratings.
“The imbalance between high-threat posts and other posts appears striking when examining the creation of new detachments during the first year of the ongoing MSG expansion,” the report said. It added “that the planned expansion is not fully consistent with” the post-Benghazi security recommendations.