Wednesday, April 2 2014, 02:07 PM EDT
DENVER (AP) — The Denver coroner says an exchange student from Wyoming fell to his death after eating a marijuana cookie, the first reported death linked to marijuana since the drug became legal for recreational use in Colorado in January.
Nineteen-year-old Levy Thamba died after falling from the balcony of a Denver hotel on March 11. An autopsy report released Wednesday says he died from the fall but also lists “marijuana intoxication” as a contributing factor in his death.
Officials at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., say Thamba, a native of the Republic of Congo, started taking classes there as an exchange student in January.
Police have not released the findings of their investigation.