Western New York Woman stung by scorpion in box


LOCKPORT — A Niagara County woman is recovering after she was stung by a scorpion while removing items from a cardboard box.

The Niagara County Sheriff’s Office said the 23-year-old woman was stung on her right hand by the scorpion on Wednesday when she reached into the box at the Johnson-Rose Corp. in Lockport, where she works.
The company sells commercial cookware supplies, according to its website. After she was stung, authorities say she was able to kill the scorpion with another box.
Sheriff’s officials said the box was delivered from China in April of last year.

A manager from the company took the woman, whose name was not released, to Eastern Niagara Hospital where she suffered anaphylactic shock, a potentially life-threatening type of allergic reaction. Hospital officials could not talk about the woman’s condition.
“It’s important to identify what kind of sting actually occurred,” said Jeffrey Eckdahl, the hospital’s director of nursing administration, explaining how a person is treated for a sting that is rare in this region.
“From there, you can identify potentially what the reaction could be. Fortunately most scorpions are not deadly. In fact, the sting from a scorpion is most like a bee sting. So we treat it accordingly.”
Eckdahl said this is the first time he can recall anyone coming into the hospital for treatment after being stung by a wild scorpion. He says most local scorpion stings involve creatures purchased from exotic pet shops.
The woman remained hospitalized Friday afternoon, but was expected to be released soon.

Includes reporting by The Associated Press. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110820/NEWS01/108200329/Woman-stung-by-scorpion-box

About a12iggymom

Conservative - Christian - Patriot
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.